Benjamin WATTS  has been found as farmer and innkeeper in 1871-
John JEFFERIES  was known to be a publican between 1821 and 1861. In 1871 he was a retired brewer so perhaps he was brewing his own beer at the Inn. In 1831 when he married his second wife he was said to be of the Parish of Kilmersdon so which pub was he keeping then? A fire completely destroyed the King’s Head Inn in 1830 at that time it was owned by a John James who quickly had the popular pub rebuilt. John was in Coleford in 1831 at the baptism of his daughter Elizabeth and he is listed at the King’s Head in the 1859 edition of the Bristol Post Office Directory. So when did he move to this pub was he the first publican there after the fire and which Kilmerdon Inn was he keeping pre 1831?. In 1865 it was being kept by Simeon PADFIELD.who had previously been the Innkeeper of the Railway Inn, Wallbridge.
John’s eldest daughter Charlotte was described as a Victualler when she married in Bathwick in 1838. There is no mention in the trade after her marriage but she may have been working at the Crown which is between Bathwick St, the address of the groom and Villa place her address at the time of the marriage.
Between his second marriage in October 1839 and the 1841 census James BUTTON  took this house over and he was still there on the 1851 census. He died in 1855 and his widow Mary nee DUNNING  took over the pub. Census returns show her as innkeeper and licensed victualler in 1861 and 1871 respectively. She died in 1872.
James’s daughter Louisa  married John JEFFERIES  son of John JEFFERIES  who was the landlord of The King’s Head, Coleford. Her husband John died in 1852 and she was with her widowed sister Elizabeth in Publow in 1861 at the George Inn. Elizabeth was the innkeeper and Louisa a dressmaker.
In 1861 the widow Elizabeth HIGGINS  was the Innkeeper here with her was her sister Louisa JEFFERIES  whose husband John had kept The King’s Head in Colesford. Elizabeth was Hester Elizabeth nee BUTTON daughter of John BUTTON of the King’s Arms Pensford. Elizabeth’s husband Thomas HIGGINS  was listed as Inn keeper of George and Dragon in the 1859 edition of the Bristol Post Office Directory. The George and Dragon is still trading.
This was kept by Alfred KEMPSTER  in 1901. He is mentioned in Kelly’s directories 1902 and 1914 as a beer retailer. Now a private house it was one of two public houses on Plummers Hill, the other being The Britannia.
Samuel THOMPSON  was born in Willoughby in 1821. He and his brothers John, Thomas and Edward became boatmen, John also dealt in hay. Samuel settled in Northampton and traded in hay, coal and beer from a premises described as being East of Horses at Grand Junction Wharf, Coton End in 1851. The horses were probably the ones that pulled the barges on the canal and along the river Nene and stabled near the wharf. On the next schedule Samuel’s brother Thomas is on his Barge. On the 1861 census he is a publican and coal dealer but in 1871 he is a hay and corn merchant.
Samuel appears in several trade directories; Northampton Directory 1853, Post Office Directory Berks, Northants 1854, Melville & Co’s directory of Northamptonshire 1861 and Kelly’s 1869 as an Ale House keeper.
He is not to be confused with a second Samuel Thompson born 1818 in Northampton who kept first the Globe, 141 Bridge Street, Grand Junction Wharf, Coton End, and later the Pheasant, Bridge Street. This second Samuel has not been connected to our tree as yet.
In 1861 newly wed Sarah WAGSTAFF nee SODEN  was described as a victualler’s wife. Her husband George was with his parents in Aynho and described as a baker so it is not known how long they stayed in the pub.
In 1891 William TUNSTALL  was a licensed victualler at the Huntsman's Arms living with his brothers, sisters and an uncle. They had two servants. He married Harriet Alice ELLARD  in 1893 in Willenhall and died in 1895. Harriet married Thomas EDEN  in 1899 and was the licensed victualler at the Huntsman in 1901. Harriet died in 1903 and Thomas married Elizabeth Ann CATTERALL in 1906. They were at the Huntsman in 1911.
James GORSE  was the publican here 1871-
John CUNLIFFE  was the innkeeper in 1871. He married Matilda GORSE daughter of James GORSE. They moved to the Owl’s Nest in Heydock between censues.
John was was a licensed victualler at the Owl’s Nest in 1881 and 1891.
John TUNSTALL  was the publican in 1881
Thomas ELLARD  was a grandson of Thomas ELLARD and Tabitha nee HAKESLEY. Thomas had moved from Berkshire with his parents, his father was a bricklayer. He became a rural postman in St Helens and married Harriet COULTER in 1883. They had their first two children in St Helens and then moved to Rainford where they kept the Derby Arms.
A history with photographs of the Hotel can be seen at http://rainfordhistory.co.uk/derby_arms.htm. Thomas died in 1912 and Harriet continued as landlady until 1917. Harriet remained in Rainford for the rest of her life she was buried there in 1935.
Augustus Charles HACON  the son of a coastguard, was a Metropolitan Policeman for 39 years before becoming the publican of the Red Lion in 1907.
During Augustus Hacon's occupation There are several newspaper reports of the pub having a quoits team such as this one:
FULBOURN v. RED LION. This match was played at Trumpington on Thursday last, the visitors won by 15 points. Scores Fulbourn. 133 Red Lion. 118 (among the Red Lion team were)... A. Sliffles 15 A. Smith 10. A.C. Hacon 15, W. Wedd 15 J. Lawrence 15...
28 May 1909 -
In 1909, he was in court for knocking down a pedestrian while riding his bicycle home from a quoits match when asked for his name he called over his shoulder while riding his bike from the scene “Red Lion Trumpington”
(Cambridge Independent Press, 26 November 1909).
On the 1911 census he was living at the Red Lion where he is a police pensioner and publican
From 1914, he was an active member of the local Volunteer Training Corps.
The Cambridge Independent Press, 25 December 1914, reported that on 19 December 1914, there was a fire which burnt down the Red Lion. The report stated
"The Red Lion public house at Trumpington was completely gutted by fire but the landlord and his family escaped out of the bedroom window. Flames burst through every window and the inside was completely burnt out but the roof was hardly damaged. Very little commotion was caused in the village and people living in a cottage opposite were not aware of the fire until the following morning. The contents were completely destroyed, including £50 in notes of Slate Club money. But gold and silver were recovered from the ruins"
Apparently it was a dog that woke the family and it too was able to escape from the fire.
The Trumpington Parish Magazine, January 1915, had an entry:
"Much sympathy is felt with Mr Hacon, of the Red Lion Inn, and his family in the loss they have met with in the burning of their house on the night of Dec 19th. Fortunately there was no loss of life or limb, although practically the whole contents of the house were, we understand, destroyed."
In the next issue, February 1915, Mr Hacon gave
"Best thanks to all those who so kindly assisted in our late trouble".
He is last listed as the Landlord in Kelly’s 1916 directory that being the year that Walter Frost, took over.
The Trumpington History Group give a fuller history in which they say –
The pub was opened sometime between 1790 and 1840. It was demolished in 1932 and rebuilt in 1939 in a slightly different position. Originally it was a small pub with a duck pond in front and a meadow behind. It was said that pigs freely went through the bar between the green around the pond and the meadow. The meadow being used for the annual summer village feast was no longer openly accessed when the pub was rebuilt and the feast was lost from the annual village programme.
James POOLEY  was listed as an innkeeper in Crowan Town on the 1841 census, an innkeeper and butcher in Crowan Churchtown on the 1851 census and then in 1861 an innkeeper and butcher at the St Aubyns Arms, Praze. (There is a possibility the pub in Churchtown was called The Miner’s Arms)
He appears to have been a tenant landlord as the St Aubyns Arms is mention by name in the will of William GLASSON in 1844. He left the St Aubyn’s Inn to his wife with a £10 annuity out of the rents from his property in Tremayne and his son was left a moiety in the inn/public house in Crowan Churchtown.and his daughter Eleanor POOL was bequeathed 5 houses in Churchtown.
It appears that James POOL and his wife Mary nee GLASSON were keeping the Inn in 1846/1847 which was then owned by Eleanor POOL who by then was a widow. Eleanor was the Innkeeper in 1851.
Eleanor POOL also left a will in 1868 when she left the public house in Praze to her three daughters “in possession of James POOLEY and Thomas SYMONS” My informant about this will has not actually seen it, so did Eleanor in fact leave two pubs? (There was a second at that time in Praze the other being the Smuggler’s Arms now a dwelling in Glasson’s Yard). Thomas SYMONS was a Grocer and Tailor in 1871.
I am told that the St Aubyn’s Arms was advertised to let in 1894 by Arthur POOL. Which shows the Inn still in possession of the POOL family
In the 1856 edition of the Post Office directory there are two mentions of a James POOLEY one as a farmer in Tremaynes and the other as a farmer and butcher at the St Aubyn’s Arms, Praze. As can be seen in the 1844 will the St Aubyn’s Arms, a pub in Churchtown and property in Tremaynes are all in possession of the GLASSON family. Was James POOLEY one of the Glasson’s tenants, did they move him from their pub in Churchtown to the St Aubyn’s Arms?
The 1868 date corresponds to James POOLEY leaving the pub as he was no longer at the St Aubyn’s in 1871 but was still a butcher in Praze.
Hannibal ROWE  was an Innkeeper in Breage when his children were baptised between 1815 and 1820.
This old coaching Inn, now called the Hawkin’s Arms was kept by Hannibal ROWE [18258 ] 1824-
The Inn was renamed in honour of the marriage of the Trewithen family and the famous seafaring Hawkins family in 1856