The Bell in Warwick Lane, Coventry was kept by Mattew JEPHCOT  in 1841 and his wife Elizabeth nee HESOM  in 1851. The book “The Character of Coventry” a reflection of well-
Elizabeth’s brother Thomas  married Mary ELLARD  who was a granddaughter of William ELLARD  on our direct line. Mathew’s sister Elizabeth JEPHCOT  married Joseph HESOM , Elizabeth’s brother.
George E PEARCE  was keeping this pub in 1891-
Letitia WHITEHOUSE , Sarah WHITEHOUSE  and Nancy WHITEHOUSE  were sisters. Letitia married James LOWE and two of their sons became publicans. Sarah and Nancy both married SHAREs, Joseph and Samuel respectively, (but it is not yet known if these were brothers). Sarah married twice she and her husbands were publicans as were Nancy’s son Samuel SHARE  and his son Joseph SHARE . The eldest sister Juliet married another Samuel SHARE but we have not found any connection with pubs.
The King William IV was opened during the reign of that monarch. From directory entries it is known that Sarah SHARE nee WHITEHOUSE  was the victualler of the pub at 8 Pensnett Road between 1850 -
In 1851 Daniel BAKER , a constable, was lodging at the pub. Sarah  and Daniel married in 1853 and Daniel was listed as the publican at 6 Bug Hole on the 1861 census. Sarah died in 1867
After Sarah and Daniel the next record so far found is an entry in the PO Directory for 1876 which has “SHARE Samuel King's Head Holly Hall.” This is thought to be Sarah's nephew Samuel , son of Joseph SHARE and Nancy. Sarah’s son Samuel  had died in the first quarter of 1871, his wife Sarah nee WALL  was still listed as a shop keeper in the Post Office Directory of 1876. Samuel  moved to the Old Coach and Horses and his son Joseph SHARE  was managing the King William in 1881 but in 1891 Joseph was a bar man in his father’s pub. In 1891 a Joshuah MANTLE was keeping the King William, 8 Pensnett Road, no family connection with him has been found.
The Old Coach and Horses was in Stourbridge Road, Woodside, the “ Old” in its title was added to distinguish it from another Coach and Horses, also located on the Stourbridge Road. Samuel SHARE  was the publican from 1881. He is also listed there in both Kelly’s Directories for 1892 and 1896. The original pub was gutted by a fire and demolished. The existing pub was a replacement building which opened in 1965.
In Kelly's Directory of Worcestershire 1896 a Joseph SHARE is at the Seven Stars Public House, 20-
Oliver LOWE  was the first of James LOWE and Letitia WHITEHOUSE’s four sons. In 1841 he was a journeyman Maltster living in Mill Lane, Kingswinford but by 1851 he was keeping his own pub on the census. He was described as a victualler and he was listed in both White’s and Slater’s Directories of 1851 under publicans “Lowe Oliver The Waterloo, Mill Street, Brierley Hill” He was also listed in 1865 in Jones Mercantile Directory of South Staffordshire in Brierley Hill. Oliver died in 1866.The Waterloo is still in business, a photograph can be seen at http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1100362
The Midlands pubs Forum has found Oliver listed in the pub in 1845 and suggests that he was brewing his own beer at the Waterloo.
Benjamin LOWE  was the third son of James and Letita. He was a publican in Kingswinford in 1841 his address being Bretall Lane. He is also listed in the History, Gazetteer & Directory of Staffordshire, 1834 under Inns and Tavens but the Inn was not named. On the 1871 census there is a Cross Keys in Bretall Lane so it is possibly the house in question. By 1851 Benjamin was living in Machin St, Pensnett and his occupation was given as a maltster.
Reuben CARTER  was a coal miner and beerhouse keeper at this address in 1861. In 1871 the address was 19 St John’s Street. This has since been renamed Shirley Road. The Midlands Pubs forum has a record of Reuben in the pub in 1879 but his widow was a greengrocer in the next property in 1881
We are grateful to Keiran of the Midland pubs Forum for his help with the Dudley pubs
Simeon CADMAN  was a retail brewer on the 1851 census and was listed in Slater's Directory of Birmingham, Worcester & the Potteries, 1851 as a retail brewer and in White’s History, Gazetteer & Directory of Staffordshire 1851 under beer sellers. Simeon died in 1858 and his widow Rebecca CADMAN nee ARMSTRONG  was the publican in 1861.
William HAKESLEY  was a licensed victualler at the Scott Arms in 1911 and was listed in the Kelly Directory 1912.
George COLLEY  who was a cabinet maker was keeping this Inn in 1891. But in 1901 he was again listed as a cabinet maker.
In 1881 Henry Poynter WOODWARD  was the publican at this house. He had left before 1887 when his son was born in Honebourne. The Hawford was demolished in the 1960s and very little else has been found about it.
This name usually indicates the pub was near a toll gate. Very little is known about this pub other than it was kept by James COSNETT  in 1871. James was an ag lab on the censuses on either side.
This unusual name is thought to be representing the papal crown and an Anglican bishop’s mitre. Why such symbols have been used is a mystery but it is known that the original owner was a church warden.
The house is thought to date back to the late eighteenth century. It closed in 1977 and a modern house built near by took the old name. A photo of the old pub can be seen Here.
Our ancestor Ann GILES  was the landlady in 1836-
Kidderminster Civic Society's Historic Kidderminster Project published the Puxton/Franche walk which marks the sites of many demolished buildings including Franche Hall, Puxton House and the original Three Crowns and Sugar Loaf pub.