Contact Us

Salford Priors, Warwickshire.

The village is about six miles south west of Alcester, and is as pretty as any chocolate box or jig-saw with rolling fields, undulating country lanes, thatched cottages, and a welcoming  Norman church.   

The land of the parish originally belonged to the Abbot of Kenilworth and is now divided by the busy A439 Evesham to Stratford road. The area has many fruit farms and market gardens.

The name 'Salford' comes from 'Saltford'. 'The Oxford Dictionary of Place Names' (Ekwall) says that the name could refer to the place where salt was carried over the river (presumably a salt-way from Droitwich).

The Church is Norman and is mentioned in the Doomsday book, it is dedicated to St Matthew. The church is set back in farm land and is kept open and has a convenient car park. We visited on 17 June 2006 when Eric took this photograph., It is well cared for and obviously well used. The parish covers the villages of Dunnington, Bevington, Cock Bevington and Abbot's Salford, all manors in their own right.


The earliest members we have found on our direct line are John [5630] and Mary PRATT [5631] who had seven children baptised here between 1685 and 1695/6. Their descendants for several generations were baptised, married and buried in Salford. The last on our direct line to be born here was John [5261] in 1771. He married Elizabeth KIBLER [5261] in Newbold Pacey in 1798 before they settled in Warwick.

On another branch of the tree, the children of Edward PRATT [5553] and Ann TURBERVILLE [5554] were the last to live in Salford. The last of the children George and Mary were baptised in 1813 and 1814 respectively when their abode was given as Dunnington Heath. Of their other children William [5556] married Ann MORRIS [6516] in Studley and moved to Worcestershire; Edward [5560] married Sarah FRIER [6296] in Wyre Piddle and had children in Fladbury; Charles [5563] was the last of the family in Salford. He was an ag. lab married to Dinah in 1861, On the 1871 census he had no settled home and slept in barns, Dinah was in the Union Workhouse in Oversley.

When Phoebe  PRATT daughter of Joseph and Ann was baptised in 1830 their abode was given as Dunnington.

  Photographs on this page by Eric McMullin 17 June 2006 and 23 Mar 2007


See also

Site layout and content © 2007-2018  Eric & Hazel McMullin Except where noted.

Just inside the door on the left as you face the altar in the North Wall is a stained glass window dedicated “In loving memory of John Humphrey PRATT born 1823 died 1890. erected March 28th 1891 by his 2 sons John Humphrey and Erasumus Crake.”

This is a family of cloth merchants and has been traced back to Thomas PRATT and Elizabeth Harvey CRAKE who had their children baptised in Lyneham, Oxfordshire. They traded in Philadelphia, so the Good Samaritan was an appropriate subject for their memorial window. No connection has as yet been established between this family and our line