Albert and Emily JOHNSON started their married life living at 36 Albert Road, Stechford. Albert stabled his milk horse a little way down the road at number 18. Edward was born at number 36 during his father’s military service.
They eventually moved to 106 Albert Road. This is where they lived during and after the 2nd World War.
The Johnson children all attended Albert Road School now known as Stechford Junior and Infants School..
Hazel went to a dance school in Albert Road and made her debut, aged 3, at a dance show in the YMCA Hall near the school .
Photographs 1 -
All the JOHNSON children were baptised here and attended Sunday school. Edward joined the all male choir. He was confirmed here and became an altar server.
Edward told of the time a Bishop of Birmingham came to the church and found that the vicar had introduced the Stations of the Cross and a statue of the Virgin Mary. He was furious and demanded their removal, he returned a few weeks later and preached a sermon on Jesus cleansing the temple and saying church was for the worship of God and did not need ornaments. Edward remained “low church” for the rest of his life.
Edward was the first of Albert and Emily's children to marry, he and Daisy were married 21st September 1940 by Revd J.F..D. Triningham. Sisters Olive, Margaret and Beryl also married here but Winifred, who was “high church”, married at St Chad's and brother Colin married at the Methodist chapel in Stechford.
Hazel was baptised at All Saints on 13th Sept 1942 just before Revd. Triningham joined the RAF as a chaplain, sadly he was killed in action.
Site layout and content © 2007-