St. Nicholas, once called the 'Low' church, (simply because it was further down the hill from St. Mary's, the 'High' church), was one of the two ancient parish churches of Warwick, in the later middle-
A vestry was added in 1826, and the chancel was rebuilt in 1869-
On our direct line is Charles PRATT (1817-
Site layout and content © 2007-
The county Town of Warwickshire has retained many of the buildings that our PRATT ancestors would have been familiar with. The PRATTs always lived in the area near the Castle and River Avon .
John PRATT  had left Salford Priors and had married Elizabeth KIBLER in 1798 in Newbold Pacey. They moved to Warwick and settled in Bridge End and each of their 10 children were Christened at St Nicholas Church.
Their youngest son Charles PRATT  first trained as a shoe maker. Charles married Ann STANDLEY in 1843. She was the daughter of a pump sinker who also lived in Bridge End.
After their marriage Charles and Ann lived in the road that ran along side the church called Lower St Nicholas Church Street (the name being usually shortened to Lower Church Street).
They too had their nine children baptised at St Nicholas. Charles became the sexton at the church for a while and later became parish clerk. Their seventh child was born on 27 November 1860. He was named George Guy after his uncle George Guy STANDLEY who in turn may have been named in honour of George Guy Greville who was the 4th Earl of Warwick. The Earl had entertained Queen Victoria and Prince Albert at Warwick Castle in 1858.
George Guy PRATT  left Warwick sometime between 1871 and 1879 probably attracted by the availability of work in the developing industrial Birmingham.
Castle and River
2 Views of Bridge End
St Nicholas Church Street